Friday 12 October 2012

O Canada


We arrived in Canada on the 5th October 2012. The Edmonton airport was all but empty for our arrival at 1am and we were the last ones to leave - it was filled with hockey memorabilia which was enough to excite us despite the hour. We held our breaths as the airport officer stamped our working visas, until this time it still didn't feel like it was actually happening. We were greeted on the other side by D's aunt and cousin who kindly agreed to collect us and we walked out into the cold dark night not knowing exactly what we were in for...


The pamphlet given to us when we crossed the border
It took about an hour to get from the airport to the house we would be staying at in St Albert. There was a basement suite that would be ours, there was no bathroom but there was a bed, and my god we needed it. We threw our bags on the floor and didn't wake until lunch time the next day. Our first few days in Canada were spent catching up on sleep, hanging around the house and being driven around town and Edmonton. I was still terribly disorientated!

Main street of St Albert
The last day of markets for the year, before the subzero sets in!
The weather was just beautiful - sunny clear skies and a cool wind that reminded me of the perfect winter days we get back in Australia. It was autumn so all the leaves were turning beautiful colours of red and orange falling softly from the trees. St Albert is a lovely town - much bigger than the small town we are from in Australia but I instantly felt safe and comfortable here.

Just like the movies, even a white picket fence!

The street D's family live on in St Albert

Its raking time!
D showing me how to do it the 'right way'

By luck we arrived over the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend and the family came over for a turkey dinner. For anyone who knows me well I am pretty picky when it comes to food and generally only eat chicken, it's actually somewhat of an embarrassment at my age turning up my nose to perfectly good food but I was determined to try turkey for the first time. I was pleasantly surprised - I actually liked it! My mind was in competition with my tastebuds though and although I enjoyed it i kept thinking in my head 'I;m eating turkey' and couldn't just relax and enjoy the mean fully. Oh well I did it regardless! We had pumpkin pie for dinner which was also a first for us - this one I did not struggle with... the first of many pumpkin pies I think!
Next thing on the agenda? Get jobs!!


No comments:

Post a Comment