Saturday 16 February 2013

A New Course

Those of you that know me on facebook you may have realised that I LOVE LOVE LOVE taking photos. I have thousands of them uploaded via facebook and most of the storage on my computer is devoted to pictures i've taken through the years - meticulously sorted of course. Although I really enjoy re-living all the great places and things i've been lucky enough to experience I often wish my photos were better. I notice small things that annoy me about them and wish I could go back and try that photo again.....

Instagram has made it easy to turn otherwise boring or basic photos into almost a work of art - I really like the app but I still wish I had the knowledge to create stunning photos without the help of those awesome filters! Back in high school I took a film class that taught me the basics of composing an image and it’s something I really enjoyed and I still use those concepts when taking photos today. I also touched on this during my brief University  studies but never ventured past the really basic stuff.

Browsing through the course options

I bought a very basic but still good Nikon DSLR camera with a twin lens kit for cheap from Costco in the states and it's perfect for a beginner like me. I think i've taken some really neat shots with it already but it’s mostly been on the auto mode and i'd love to know how to use it in manual mode. That being said it's hard to teach yourself how to use something so complex and I’ve decided that I want to do it properly, not just look it up on youtube or read another blog about it. I want some formal guidance to be able to use the camera to it's full potential (and to see my full potential as well).

Just after I enrolled - so excited!

So, to cut a long story short, D decided to enrol me in a photography course at the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology which is only about 1/2 hour drive from our place. One of the things I wanted to do while here was learn a new skill and I know taking photos is something I already enjoy. As long as I have a camera in hand, I can take this hobby with me wherever I go. I'm really excited about it and hopefully I will be taking better photos before I know it!


The gorgeous 'Heritage Hall' building at SAIT

No comments:

Post a Comment