Sunday 24 February 2013

Winter sucks and thank GOD for chinooks!

It's no secret that Canadian winters are brutal. In Alberta temperatures can get down to -40C which is so hard to even comprehend for an Aussie like me. Compared to our average low of around 10C in winter on the Gold Coast it's been a pretty big shock to the system to say the least.

Luckily, where we live in Calgary we get warm winds known as Chinooks that blow in from the Rocky Mountains and heat everything up. They can last for a few hours or even a few days. One day it will be -10C and the next it will be +10C. Its one of the only places in the word to experience this so we are very fortunate to have ended up here. Honestly if I had to endure a long harsh winter without the respite of these warmer days I think I would have already packed up and headed back to Australia. Even the thought of enduring another one next year isn't too appealing. We'll see how we feel as next winter draws closer I guess.

Before we left D & I really wanted to live somewhere with 4 distinct seasons as we don't really get that back at home but honestly it seems like winter here lasts at least 6 months! I know what you're thinking - well you DID move to Canada what else were you expecting?!? Fair enough.... but I feel like we had to come here and discover this for ourselves to know for certain that we do, in actual fact love Australia and it will always be our home.

Now that it's late February I am well and truly OVER the cold and the snow - the fact we don't have any ski gear to actually enjoy these conditions doesn't help either but we needed a house and a car first and that prevented us from being able to afford those things.

So bring on Spring/Summer. I need warm wind in my hair, sun on my skin, the smell of BBQ in the air, the sound of crickets humming in the trees. A beach would also be nice but that's never gonna happen in Calgary, I guess i'll settle for a lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment