Friday 8 February 2013

Revenge of the Wisdom Tooth

I'll admit it - i'm a complete and utter wimp when it comes to the dentist. I had some pretty traumatic experiences in the school dental van as a child that have always just stuck with me. I avoid going to the dentist until I really have to and unfortunately that means things get pretty bad inside my mouth before I actually decide I can't put it off any longer.
Case in point - my wisdom teeth. In my teens I wore braces for 2 years and had 4 teeth extracted in order to allow room for my wisdom teeth to come in. Unfortunately a couple of them impacted and never fully popped through the gum. Oh how I wish I had them removed back then :(

I remember feeling a cavity in one of my lower wisdom teeth when I lived on the Central Coast of NSW in 2006 - yep 7 years ago... But did I do anything about it at the time? NO. Stupid girl! Then a few years later in 2009 as that tooth was getting progressively worse I felt a sharp pain in the wisdom tooth on the other side of my jaw. Seeing as though my wedding was only a couple of weeks away and I didn't want to spend the day in agony I decided to visit the dentist who put in a temporary filling to alieviate the pain and gave me strict instructions to visit again right after my honeymoon as it wasn't a permanent fix and I had some other 'issues' that needed attention. Well, do you think I went back? Hell no, I was just married and not interested in doing anything less than pleasant. The pain had gone so as far as I was concerned there was really no need to do anything about it right now anyway.

2 years later in 2011 I had MAJOR trouble with these same two teeth which resulted in an infection, allergic reaction to medication and about a week in total off work. I was so sick and just wanted to be hospitalised as I couldn't take care of myself. I did book in to have my teeth removed that time however being the university dental clinic I got stuffed around quite a bit and long story short the extraction never eventuated.
Now here in Canada I have been expreiencing the normal type on/off pain I am used to after years of dealing with these teeth but then the temporary filling fell out of my tooth a couple of weeks ago, and things have gone downhill quickly from there. The last few nights have been the worst whereby I have had pretty much no sleep, excrutiating pain in my jaw, terrible headaches, up and down with a hot water bottle, not being able to eat and a tummy full of pain medication has made me feel very sick as well and lack of sleep has rendered me quite the grouch. At this stage I want to rip these teeth out of my head myself and the Tom Hanks in Cast Away method is actually quite appealing - nothing can be worse than the pain i've been dealing with the last few days... Unfortunately that isn't much of an option as the real problem lies below the gumline in the roots closely located to nerves in my jaw. Double that with hooked roots and rotting easily breakable teeth and you have a case for an oral surgeon, not just a case of a routine extraction in the dental chair. My teeth will need to be cut out of my gums, oh joy!

So not impressed to be at work with such a painful toothache

So today I went to the local dentist for a referral to an oral surgeon. The dentist gave me a temporary filling to hopefully relieve some of the pain shooting up my jaw/ear/head and an antibiotic prescription but it may take a few days for them to get working. I'm booked to see the oral surgeon at the end of March - it was the earliest they could fit me in - so, so upset at the thought of dealing with this shit for another 6 weeks but I don't have a choice. Will update the situation when I have anymore news... Until then i'm praying this pain goes away I can't live like this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment